How do you encourage a child to do their homework independently?
Homework is for children, not for parents!
Step 1 – Chat through the homework
Ask leading questions so that your child does most of the talking.
- Do you understand what you are supposed to do?
- What do you need help with?
- Do you have everything you need to get started?
- What will you do if you get stuck?
- Do you need to answer in full sentences?
Step 2 – Child has a go independently
You may need to be in the same room as your child but don’t hover, answer any questions or give any clues.
Ignore any delaying tactics!
Step 3 – Review the homework with your child
Either you or your child should start by descriptively praising a few good aspects
Then highlight one or two areas that need to be improved.
Avoid the temptation to correct all their mistakes.
Help your child to find strategies so they don’t repeat the same mistakes.