How to listen so kids will talk
A powerful way for parents to help children when they are experiencing a difficult emotion
What is ‘Emotion Coaching’?
Emotion coaching can also be known as ‘Reflective’ or ‘Active’ listening. This is a way for parents to respond when a child is having an uncomfortable feeling. It enables a child to recognise and articulate an emotion so they can move more quickly towards accepting and problem solving.
What are the benefits of Emotion Coaching?
- Shows a child you care about their feelings
- Child feels heard and understood
- Reduces misbehaviour
- More ’emotionally intelligent’ – able to express and communicate feelings
- Encourages problem solving
- Enhances connection and relationship between parent and child
How do you do it?
- Put your own thoughts, emotions and wishes to one side (the most tricky part!)
- STOP what you are doing. Stand back and observe your child
- Imagine how your child may be feeling and reflect that back in words
- Empathise with their resistance